Ahhh, summer. Gloriously long days spent with toes in the sand, legs by the pool, fingers dipped into the lake, and eyes staring at breathtaking sunsets. Then….there are bbq’s, ice cream, wine, creamy potato salad, hot dogs, beer, and s’mores….uh-oh! Somewhere, around early August, we start to come out of our summer stupor and realize that we just might have gone off the rails for the past 8 weeks or so. We start to panic. We feel heavier, bloated, tired, ready to get back on track….but there’s still a few weeks of summery shenanigans left to go!
It’s okay. Breathe. We’ve got this.
Enjoying a summer bbq does not need to be the end of our wellness goals for the next few months. You can indulge, sensibly, and then use your next meal as an opportunity to give back to yourself—fill your health bucket, so to speak. After burgers and beer, love yourself well by visiting your local farmers market. Choose veggies that are in season, and create a crazy colorful salad, sprinkled with pumpkin and hemp seeds. Drizzle with avocado oil and apple cider vinegar. Drink herbal iced tea and indulge your senses on a patio or porch. You don’t have to wait until the school buss re-appears in order to re-set your healthy intentions. If you’ve overdone it a bit too often, take a look at some of my tips, choose a few, and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you can find your center again.
- Hydrate! Start each day with 16 oz. room temperature pure, filtered water and 1/2 squeezed lemon.
- Eat veggies for breakfast most days.
- Make each meal, snack, and bite as nutrient dense as possible. Eliminate packaged, processed foods and choose clean, whole, organic foods instead.
- Manage stress through prayer, meditation, breathing, gratitude, community.
- Sweat daily. 10-40 minutes of intentional, intense exercise is enough to do the trick, as is going to a sauna (or stepping outside in late July/August!) Sweat is a very, very good thing for the body and the mind.
- Eat lots of raw, organic vegetables.
- Sleep in a cool, dark room and create a soothing ritual to help slip into deep, restorative, healing sleep. Consider using essential oils as a sleep aid. Lavender is lovely; “Serenity Blend” by DoTerra is in my diffuser every night. **Ask me about these oils.
- Start exploring fresh pressed green juices. Always go organic and green when it comes to juicing; 1 apple is plenty to sweeten the drink.
- Use oils like: coconut, olive, avocado, and grape seed; season food with organic fresh and dried herbs
- Do things that turn you on; light your fire; allow you to live with abandon.
- Indulgences are PART of a nutritious life. Make them consciously, enjoying each moment; choosing high quality ingredients, and then move on from a place of power. Ice cream is not a “fail.” It’s part of life, just like a piece of salmon and a kale salad is part of life.
Download my Summer Salads and end this season WELL!