If you want to get healthy and lean, train like a….SINGER!
Yep, train like a singer. “Life by Lori” is the culmination my 20+ year journey to wellness. A large part of my journey was (and still is) my career as a singer. I’ve been singing my whole life, majored in vocal music performance at Belmont University in Nashville, landed multiple record deals, toured all over the world as both a background vocalist and a recording artist, performed in arenas, theaters, clubs, and on television.
When I was a full time touring artist, my life was a whirlwind. Sometimes I was in 3 cities a day. The energy required and the demand of the road was intense. I learned the hard way that taking care of my body was job number one if I wanted to keep the pace. There were a few times when I let my health slide and contracted bronchitis (an inflammatory condition) on the road, which resulted in me having to step off of 2 tours…devastating.
The thing about being a singer is that my instrument is INSIDE of my body. If my body is not healthy, I cannot do my job. A guitar player may be able to play a show if he has a terrible cold, but a singer likely cannot. If a singer gets bronchitis or a nasal infection, she will be sidelined. That’s a lot of pressure to deal with! While sickness is not always inevitable, there are ways that I’ve found to keep my baseline health stronger; my immune system enhanced, and overall stress reduced. The key is to live an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY lifestyle….and there’s a bonus to this lifestyle that you can read about at the end of this blog!
**Sidebar** I teach live classes in my area on INFLAMMATION and how to combat it with nutrition and lifestyle changes. I have made my class available for download on my website! I know the information would be SO helpful to you….FIND IT HERE.
As I write this, I am in a hotel room in Florida. I’m here as a guest artist singing with the Jacksonville Symphony. You better believe I’ve been preparing my body for months and months! I don’t tour full time anymore, so when I have a show date on the calendar, I know I have my work cut out for me. My goal is to keep inflammation down, and that job starts in my gut.
When the bacteria in my gut is in balance, my immune system does not become overreactive. When my immune system is not overreacting, my body will not trigger an inflammatory response. (The inflammatory cycle will make more sense if you download my INFLAMMATION class) So, my first order of business is to keep my gut healthy.
I do that in a number of ways: taking probiotics, eating probiotic rich foods like fermented vegetables and sauerkraut, making sure NOT to eat foods that trigger inflammation….and listening to my body when I eat to see if a food might be causing a reaction.
To protect the lining of my gut, I sip bone broth 2x daily. I’m currently using Ancient Nutrition’s Turmeric Bone Broth and I add black pepper to the mixture…I sip in between meals. The turmeric is anti-inflammatory and the bone broth seals my gut lining.
After making sure my gut is happy, there are things I do daily to stay healthy and strong….”Singer Strong!”
- Start each day with 16-20 oz. water with 1/2 lemon and 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Make sure each meal has greens, healthy fat, fiber, and protein: make each meal as NUTRIENT DENSE as possible…no fillers, no fluff. Make each meal count and provide the body with everything it needs to stay balanced, full, and fed.
- Take a greens powder 1-2x daily to make sure I’m getting all the necessary nutrients/micronutrients.
- Drink ample filtered water throughout the day, including herbal teas
- Avoid refined sugar and limit (or eliminate) alcohol consumption
- Create time for ME….to reduce stress and the effects of stress: Prayer/meditation, alone time, REST, a hot bath, early to bed, a massage….whatever is needed…and it’s non-negotiable! When we are stressed, either emotionally or physically, our bodies produce excessive amounts of cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that is also a fat-storing hormone. Stress is the new sugar, y’all.
- Sweat daily, either through exercise or infrared sauna. When preparing for a big show, I don’t do a lot of dedicated cardio, like running or rowing because that can inflame my lungs. Instead, I focus on exercises that strengthen and lengthen my muscles, but I perform my exercises with little rest in between so that my heart rate is elevated.
Of course, there are other things that I do….but these are the basics that keep inflammation down, my immune system functioning correctly, blood sugar and hormones balanced….all to enable me to protect my body…my instrument.
NOW, you want to know the best part? When I do these things, the side effect is: WEIGHT LOSS! Yes! And that’s never the goal….the goal is health and wellness, and weight loss just happens as a result of these things. In preparation for my weekend as guest vocalist with the symphony, I lost 5 pounds. A 5 pound weight loss is always nice when you’re about to stand up in front of thousands of people and be scrutinized, but that wasn’t my goal. I just wanted to be healthy enough to go do my job!
This is what “Life by Lori” does for me, for my clients, and I know can do for you….because THIS is the way we were designed: to function beautifully when our bodies are in balance. Being lean and strong are side effects of a body in balance. If you are ready to see for yourself….join me! You can download my “Life by Lori” program on my website right now: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD. If you do, the INFLAMMATION class is included in the package for free. Solidify your body's foundations, gain greater health...and enjoy a trim, lean body! I want this for you! If you want it too, go get it!